- Ken Lang joined the class for the first time. He started learning about . He has been doing taiji for 10 years, and went to study at Chen Village for 6 weeks. His initial impression was that the Practical Method elbow-in was similar to what he learned in Chen Village. His teacher there was Master Chen Zhaosen.
- We reviewed , and how the hand is to be connected to the foot, and how to push the foot against the ground to squeeze out the hand.
- We did an exercise with one person pushing the other person’s hand up the arm, and how to prevent the shoulder being popped up, and how to stretch through the back to the rear foot to find the connection.
- We practiced taking out the space.
- I told Bruce during push hands, at this point, make it a focus to simply maintain the desired posture regardless of what the opponents does to him.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
This is the section where Master Chen Zhonghua offers online information and classes on Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method. There are mini lessons, discussions and student evaluations.
View posts in sub-category:
Application Articles Body & Posture Common Errors Glossary and terms Learning Method Principle List Principle, Concept Principle, Rule Principle, Technical Quotations Routine Names Routines Videos Stories Student Evaluations (Private) Taiji Apparatus Taiji FAQ Workshop Notes
Video in Chinese: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjkwODU2OTE2.html
- Master Chen when answering the question focused on Practical Method itself, and left it to the audience to do the comparison, as he couldn’t represent the other art.
- Practical Method’s core is . Spiral and silk reeling is plus distance.
- We can never do true . It’s impossible for us to do 360 degree . We can perform a lever action. A lever action is a part of a .
- Form training is to create levers in our bodies.
- Grandmaster Hong Junsheng has the 10-word saying “Out with hand no elbow, no hand”. Lin Ketong calls it 10-word mantra.
- This mantra actually describes the lever action.
Bruce Robinson Notes:
Exercise to lock Knee whilst doing 1st move of cloud hands
• In Single whip posture advised by Kelvin Ho to stretch out both arms as far as possible & elbows are to face down, front hand stretched out (to vermillion palm) fingers extended & rear hand forms beak