Fixed two dots are static power. Add one more dot between the two is dynamic power. As long as you can stretch this third dot against the fixed two dots, you have power, e.g.
- Lock the and knee, push the kua out.
- Lock the back of the and the front shoulder, push the bottom of the neck close to the front shoulder out.
Master Chen explained the difference in the following: 开步、合步、跟步、开脚。
Size of the two gears determines the direction of the resulting power.
Dao – Everything exists as it is. There is no right or wrong. The sequence matters. An individual piece is fine as it is. If you disrupt the flow (the sequence), it becomes problematic.
Elbow (in), Kua (rotate), Hand,(out). It is wrong when the sequence is messed up.
- to shoulder
- Chest to kua
- Kua to foot
松沉 – Vertical plum line, the line has no power itself. The line is a relationship. Taiji needs the relationship to be virtual.
Between the sun and earth, there is gravity, which is the relationship. It is real, but you can’t touch it.
You have learning something once you can paraphrase it.
If you can see it, you have learned it.
If you can really see it, what you see does not change.
To be a student, always collect data/information. Over time, patterns will be formed from such information.
Figure 8– A big in the front, and a small at the back
Figure 8– A small in the front, and a big at the back
Use the kua to draw the circle.
All joints between the two ends must be open. Only the hand against the opponent, and the foot against the floor compress.
At the beginning, when opening one joint, it forces a compression to the next joint. We must continue to open each of them until it reaches the end.
When doing fajin, only go to 80% extension.
The kua goes up to the inside towards the elbow.
Elbow, shoulder, kua are 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.
First half of the circle, push into the front foot, but the foot does not move.
Compass: one needle does not move at all, the 2nd needle is pinned to the paper but to the table. When moving the compass, the 2nd needle will move around the first needle dragging the paper. The 2nd needle moves on a track (specifically around the first needle).
Those are the 3 kinds of not moving:
- 1st needle – absolutely not moving
- 2nd needle – restrictively not moving (moving on a track)
- 2nd needle and the paper – structurely not moving (between them they didn’t move)
First move of yilu: Verticalinside a cylinder
Three ways of talking about our actions:
- Separation of Yin and Yang
- In and Out
- Thread, fabric, needle
- Needle is outside leading.
- Fabric is the barrier.
- Thread is inside being pulled.
- Leading thing must be hard, what is being led is soft.
- must be hard, arm must be soft.
- Bone is hard, skin/muscle is soft.
- Top of the must be hard, whatever below must be soft.
- This is the training for reversal of yin and yang.
- Soft means always going around.
- Stiff is strong.
- Heavy cloak on the shoulder to focus on stretching the up.
- Tie rubber band at the elbow to keep them from going out.
- Put a spring-loaded rod between the two knees to keep from collapsing.
Human is the relationship.
Chinese emphasizes on relationship.
Taiji is being the catalyst, and create a relationship between two things.
Turning Flower from the Bottom of the Sea
- Start by standing on one foot, and practice .
- The right elbow goes sideways while the left arm comes up.
- The right fist continues to go horizontal, the left fist goes up vertically.
- One side horizontal, one size vertical. The middle is in the middle of the chest.
- The fists , they are stretched from the middle of the chest.
This is a new free community event to be hosted on the three selected Saturdays of July, August and September in 2021. It introduces tai chi as a morning exercise to start the day off. It also celebrates the re-opening of our cities in Ontario.
Kua physically can only go up and down.
Knee physically can only go sideways.
We need to produce the splitting energys all the time.
Turning Flower From the Sea Bottom
- We need to di a sudden stop in the middle to produce penetrating energy, and then let the motion continue on the same trajectory, as in 心口碎大石。
Six Sealing Four Closing
- Lock the middle of the chest, elbow-in with power, and let the shoulder stretch and rotate a lot to go to the other side to throw it back out.
- The same needs to be maintained during moving-step.
Dowith fajin for a month, so I am ready to do really do .
0 – Wuji 无极
1 – Something comes out of Wuji
2 – Taiji 太极
Starting on July 7, 2021 – 8 classes
Wednesdays: 6:45 pm to 7:45 pm
Saturdays: 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm
Location: Near Markham Civic Centre
Content: Taiji and the Practical Method 13-form
For more information, please see https://5lovehd.com/wap/hwtemp.asp?id=616
Two(levers) in the body
Master Chen indicated if we truly understand how to make a lever in the body, then having two of them simply means creating two levers using two different set of body parts.
The 2nd levers must be created separately from the first one. However, they must be related somehow or can be said to share a common point.
Each lever is a gear. Engaging two gears together creates a common point at their teeth, and that is how they relate to each other.
This demonstration uses two other parts to drive one part, and these parts are interacting gear-like. This is how we are learning to move our body in Practical Method.
“Three” represents a loop, means to repeat things endlessly.
There is really only two main things in Chinese martical arts: horizontal and vertical.
We need to determine horizontal and vertical, one of them is more dominant.
However, you need both of them to be present to say that there is either horizontal or vertical. We need to both to make the distinction.
Back to the Mar 30, 2021 exercise, there is one part that goes out, and one part that goes up. Eventually, there is a force that goes out and around.
We use the kua to initate and drive our moves. When that is done, we will see other body parts move, and not the driver itself. Read more
Thursday 8:00 pm to 9:pm ET
Fee: $20 USD/class (pay by month) through PayPal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like to signup, please contact Kelvin Ho at email@example.com.
Levels of the Form
- A bunch of sticks
- Machine-like movement
- With structure
How to pull up the right leg?
- Lock the left kua, and rotate the right kua around and underneath the left kua.
Need to break a seal, e.g. how to open a stuck jar.
- Lock the two hands, use the front elbow to break the line between the two hands.
- Lock the two hands, use the front kua to break the line between the two hands.
- Break using an action on the outside going in.
- Break using an action on the inside going out.
We need to twist ourselves in the setup, we unwind ourselves in the action.
Imagine that you separate our body into top half and bottom half. At the beginning, they are not twisted such that the front of the top lines up with the front of the bottom. You use your top to match the opponent. You change the bottom to face the other way (180 degrees opposite) while the top continues the same. Now that the top half and bottom half are twisted. There is potential energy built up, as you unwind, power is released, and there will be rotational power.
Lean with Back (背折靠)
Right fist and rear kua line up.
Elbow as a handle goes around that line.
Shoulder goes down to the kua.
Kua comes up to the shoulder.
The two lines must be maintained, and they must interact with each other.
The freer the rest of the body with those two lines maintained, the more power there is.
Lock the right elbow-shoulder-kua triangle, but place it horizontally.
Rotate to the right horizontally using the kuas.
First make the line between the right elbow and left foot. The left foot is supported by the floor.
Later make the line between the right elbow and left knee, but we need to keep the knee up (i.e. the left knee cannot point to the floor).
As we rotate to the right, the right elbow and left knee must continue to expan
- Kua needs to turn over (tippie toe if needed to get maximum range of the kua turning over)
- Right hand-elbow-shoulder triangle must remain unchanged. This triangle plane must catch the opponent, like how an oar catches water one way but not the other.
- The right elbow going up is not just lifting the elbow. It is stretching the torso so much that it flips up the elbow. Shoulder must stay downwards.
- The right kua turns over as the right hand-elbow-shoulder triangle changes position.
- Left kua must open, and don’t let the left knee point to the ground. This is very difficult to do, so the instructor is likely not able to show this one.
- Central axis does not move.
- At the very last part of the movement, there is a stretch between the right elbow and the left elbow to catch the opponent, and then we rotate on the central axis, and this being inside must be bigger than the outside movement to have power. This is an example of fajin when done quickly.
Back to the kua-to-hand exercise.
- Lock the hand, shoulder and kua as a triangle, which is a fixed plane.
- We fixed a dot on the plane, and we rotate on the dot without changing the plane itself.
- We put this dot just under the elbow.
- Kua becomes (就是) the hand. When the opponent touches our hand, it is the same as touching our kua. Ultimately, the opponent is touching the floor.
- Elbow does not move.
- Rotate the shoulder to cause the fist to change the direction.
Turning Flower over from the Sea Bottom
Today, there is a big breakthrough.
The shoulders finally find the kuas in this movement. It was very possibly due to the exercise taught on Mar 30, 2021:
- Use the kua to push the hand out. Shoulder, kua and elbow are one piece. The hand stretches against the shoulder. This is a very practical push hand move.
REMEMBER THE PROCEDURE that gets me here, but DON’T FOLLOW THE FEELING.
Fist of Hitting and Lifting
The flip from one side to another needs to happen because of torso going down. More precisely, the two shoulder-to-kua axes go up and down against the central non-moving axis. Read more
Fist of Lifting and Blocking 搬拦肘
- Lock the two elbows as if they are on a table
- The two fists only go up to go around. They also have to stretch against the two elbows. Imagine that you have a wall parallel to the chest right in front.
- The kuas control the on the central vertical axis.
- The knees control the height of the body/torso.
- The elbow control the horizontal movement.
Common mistake in push hands:
- Shoulder tends to come up and have power (wrong).
- Kua tends to go down and not have power (wrong). Read more
Lock the arms, torso goes down. Lock the torso, pull down the arms. Now there is power.
This is increasing distance. This is switching. This is.
What does it mean to be not in the same dimension?
Open zipper, untie shoe lace
Taiji is to find the holes. We must fix the lattice to find the holes. Fixing the lattice is
开胯：功能 vs 功夫
Go over the threshold 过关: hand and shoulder
Get to the special spot 窍: tip of the elbow, inner spot of kua to come out, back of the knee to find alignment, spot at the bottom of the neck
Master Chen explained the switching of the kuas again, how they are like two credit cards touching each other in a T configuration. We need to create a gap and then do the switch.
Exercise 1: Use the kua to push the hand out. Shoulder, kua and elbow are one piece. The hand stretches against the shoulder. This is a very practical push hand move.
Exercise 2: Elbow Strike (the elbow has to come out)
Exercise 3: Double Push Hands: Pull the opponent in, Front foot goes forward, rear foot follows. Two hands go out from the dantian with a trajectory. We use the back foot to push.
We started with forearm lever exercise. Aim at a dot to create a pivot. The distance the elbows goes down is the same as the distance the finger tip goes up (assuming the pivot is right in the middle).
The meaning is that nothing is left in the middle. Every in-coming thing must go out. This is also called neutralization.
When we eat rice, ideally, we just want the energy, and other physical things should come out of the body. However, there is always some small amount of material, e.g. mineral that remains in the body. This is what causes us to be sick and become old.
Resolving door: One side comes in, the other side goes out. The key is that the door is very solid.
In our movement, redirect the incoming force to the rear foot without moving.
To be soft, it must be solid plus.
Train with the rear foot at the corner, and a big enough stance to lock the body (especially upper body).
Taiji is only realized with speed.
Exercise 1: Use the left hand to grab the right wrist, stretch the right fingers. This is not just a demonstration, it is the method to train. People often ask Master Chen how to train, in fact, he just showed us. We only need to do it 60 times in each session. Doing it 60 times means to not use too much power, or using the right amount such that you can do it 60 times. When you use the left hand to grab the right, squeeze the armpit to lock the left hand, so that the left hand itself does not move. In order to stretch, we must lock something.
When the body action is correct, the energy is wrong.
When the energy is correct, the body action is wrong.