Master Chen’s disciple Ping Wei will again teach Practical Methodand on March 26 (Sunday, 9:30am-1pm and 2-5pm) in Irvine, California. For location and other details, please contact Al Yu at 949-331-2735, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Another year, another step up to see the grand vista of Tai chi. I was able to once again participate in Master Joseph Chen Zhonghua workshop organized by Nicholas Feng, K.T. Lin, Hong Kong Chen Style Taiji Practical Method (香港陳式太極實用拳法).
On a mild holiday weekend, more than thirty participants from Hong Kong, the Mainland, Canada and India gathered to train with Master Chen. A special thanks to Ling Zili who came from Daqinshan to help with the workshop. For two days, Master Chen started with the , then continued with moving, the first thirteen moves of and occasional bouts of applications training. Master Chen clearly explain how each type of training is directly related to of Chen Taijiquan.
Fetch water – the opposite vectors are at the front kua. Six sealing four closing/seven inch knife – separates at the shoulder.
There has seemed to be a pattern for me during Practical Method seminars.
I have observed that there will be a period, generally half of the seminar’s length, during which I hardly know which is my left hand or which is my right hand. This will occur during the first half of the total seminar length. I will forget
We continued the topic about the triangle in today’s class. To apply the triangle during push hand orwe need to realize the following keys:
- How many triangles are needed
- The more the better as long as it can contribute the indirect force to the final result.
- My understanding is we need at least two: the first one is formed in upper body. It involves contact points. The triangle can be two hands + one shoulder or one hand + elbow + shoulder or one hand + two shoulders; the second one is formed in lower body. It can be one foot + kua + shoulder or two feet + kua. This perfectly explains the of “rooted in the feet, initiated from the legs, controlled by the waist, ended in the fingers”(其根在脚,发于腿,主宰于腰,形于手指).
- Apply one triangle on top of another
- Keep this in mind: fix one and then apply next. This is required by the rule of “Don’t move”.
- Build a solid structure
- A solid structure will be like a rod or chair. Opponent’s power will be directed to ground and bounced back to them easily.
- The solid structure will also support forming triangles.
- We always look for opponent’s weak point in their structure, so we can apply our triangles accordingly.
At the moment Master Chen is giving the 21th Practical Method Seminar on Daqinshan. More then 80 peoples are participating and there are both advanced (beneath them many disciples) and beginners.
I want to give you a brief insight of this event.