My Shifu Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang passed away in Beijing on May 5, 2012

by Chen Zhonghua on 2012/05/05

Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang passed away on May 5, 2012 in Beijing peacefully. I lost my Shifu and the martial world lost a grandmaster! The funeral will be held on May 11, 2012.

All my students please remember this day and have a moment of silence with us in Beijing!

Feng Zhiqiang is the ultimate example of Taiji. He is a paradox and a harmonized contradiction. He is the most common retired old man and yet the most feared legendary master. He is our only link (as of 2001) to the time of fists and swords, of legends and heroes, and of dedication and bitter struggle to survive.

Today, he enjoys the reputation as a famous contemporary Chinese martial artist. He is an eighteenth generation grand master of Chen Style Taijiquan and the creator of the
Chen Shi Xinyi Hunyuan Taijiquan System.

About Chen Zhonghua

International Standard Bearer of the Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method System.

{ 68 comments… read them below or add one }

Michael Winkler May 7, 2012 at 5:06 am

Although I never met Grandmaster Feng and did not practise his style his passing away for me also is moving. My compassion to all who were close to him.
RIP Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang.

rickkare May 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

My sincere condolences to Sifu and Grandmaster Feng’s family. The Taiji community is mourning a great loss.

Rick Kare

Ian Sinclair May 7, 2012 at 9:08 am

Dear Chen, Laoshi.
I am very sorry to hear about the passing of Feng Zhiqiang. He was a great light in the world of taijiquan. We were all blessed by his life. Although I regret never having the opportunity to study with him, he always impressed me. And I feel blessed to be able to benefit, through you, from his teachings. We are all much better off because of him.
I am glad that your work and teaching will continue, doing credit to his memory, and spreading his good work around the world.

Giuseppe Bon May 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

Dear Master Chen,

we are deeply saddened to hear of GrandMaster Feng’s loss.
Our deepest condolences to you and the immediate family of the GrandMaster.
Giuseppe Bon, Valentina Faccin and the Italia Poon-zè Team

UniTaichi May 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

My condolences. One of the greatest taichi grandmaster.

AlexandraM May 7, 2012 at 10:10 am

Very sad. My deepest sympathy to you, Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang’s family, freinds and students.
Alexandra Meinhold

Gino Nasato May 7, 2012 at 11:56 am

The passing of Grandmaster Feng is truly a loss to the Taiji world. My deepest condolences to Grandmaster Feng’s family, disciples and students on their great loss.

Alex Nay May 7, 2012 at 3:23 pm

my condolences to Master Chen especially, but also the taiji community.

I have only read and heard stories and seen youtube videos, but those indeed were enough to reveal his amazing skill and also down to earth nature. His passion for taiji and leadership was inspiring. A true exemplar in the taiji community.

Nona May 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm

My sincere condolences on the death of grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang to his family, to Master Chen and to all those that feel this deep loss. He will be sadly missed by the taiji community. GM Feng Zhiqiang , eighteenth generation GM of Chen Style Taijiquan gave the world an extraordinary gift by creating the exceptional system Chen Shi Xinyi Hunyuan Taijiquan practiced and valued around the world. Indeed he lived his dream to make mankind better through the Chinese taiji .
I am very moved by this news, however I am glad that GM Feng Zhiqiang lived to see his disciple Master Chen bringing his skills, experience, Chen Style Taijiquan and the Hunyuan system to a new dimension by imparting it actively, intensively, with the whole world using best teaching style and new technologies. He always will be present in our hearts through his legacy.

Respectfully,
Nona

michaelkoh May 7, 2012 at 11:18 pm

My condolences, shifu. I regret I did not have the chance to meet this great master.

Marc Siekman May 8, 2012 at 1:31 am

Dear Master Chen,

Sad to hear of his departure. I wish I could have met him.
I can’t imagine what you are feeling, but I want to express my condolences to you.
He will remain very alive in our memories and admiration.
I published in his honor an in memoriam on my website.

Aihan Kuhn May 8, 2012 at 6:08 am

Very sad to hear this. He is an excellent master who I truely love. I had real good experience with him and learn from him. I treated him in my hotel room when I saw he had some medical issues; I gave him some recomendations. He treated me like a daughter, a good friend, I feel he treated all his student like family. At time I asked him if he want to stay with me for a year so that I can help his medical issue. But he really did not want to travel anymore.
I I learn so much from him, both martial art and life. I miss him and will miss him forever.
Dr. Aihan Kuhn
Chinese Medicine for Health, Holliston, MA

Pavel Codl May 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm

That is a very sad. My sincere condolences.

David Rivera May 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Dear Master Chen:
Our group in Puerto Rico was sadden-
ed to learn from our teacher Raul of
the passing of Grandmaster Feng. We
We dedicated a time of silence in so-
lidarity with his students around the
world, to express our respect for his
memory, our deepest sympathy for
his family and our appreciation for
the wonderful skills that he shared
with us. We feel honored that his
first student Chenzhonghua will
continue to share his teaching with
us. Master Feng will be greatly missed
But his memory will remain in our hearts

Chen Zhonghua May 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Thank you all for such an out pour of support. I am on my way to Beijing to bid last farewell to my master and to a great taiji master. I will pray to him and convey your messages to his family on your behalf.

Yang August 24, 2012 at 1:13 am

My heart sank when one of my Taichi brothers mentioned to me that Master Feng had passed way. I will be forever indebted to him for introducing me the “way” 20 years ago. My heart goes to his wife and the rest of the family. Thank you Master Chen for providing a place for me to openly express my belated condolence.