Recently, I had a dream where I used my thigh to push down the opponent at his thigh. Shifu came over and mentioned something that I didn’t quite understand. I then practiced that move with another student named Benz, and I got that move in the dream. When I woke up, I realized that I learned something.
What I learned was about making two contact points with the opponent’s leg with my leg. In order to have power on one contact point, I must make sure that the other point does not move. The two contact points must be made on the opposite sides of the opponent’s leg. This is how to create a lever in my leg.
Another important note is that I must set up the two contact points without the opponent’s notice, this translates to not pushing the opponent during the setup, and wrapping my leg around the opponent’s leg like a snake.
Either point A or B in the diagram can be used as the fixed point based on the situation.
Examples of options in application:
- Use point A as the fixed point, stretch point B respective to point A.
- Use point B as the fixed point, stretch point A respective to point B.
- Use point C (a point on the line between point A and B) as the fixed point, move A and B in equal size but opposite directions.
- Use point A as the fixed point, stretch my hand on the opponent’s front with respective to point A.
- Use point B as the fixed point, stretch my other hand on the opponent’s back with respective to point B.
4) and 5) can cause opponent to fall backward or forward respectively by creating scissors’ action.
These options can be used alternately through switching making the opponent unable to adapt as the contact points are already set up, and without movement, the moving and non-moving points can be switched.
In fact, Shifu has demonstrated this move many times. I just realized the importance, and how it can be used to collapse the opponent’s structure.