It is believed that Chen Changxing was the master who created this form by combining many of the barehand forms of the Chen Family. Changxing is the master who taught Yang Luchan.
This form was taught to Chen Zhonghua by Hong Junsheng. Hong learned it from Chen Fake (Chen Changxing’s great grand-son) from 1930 to 1944. Then in 1956, Hong spent another four months with Chen Fake refining this form. Every single move in this form was corrected by Chen Fake numerous times. Hong practiced this form all his life. It was his foundation form and he required that all his students start with this form.
Chen Zhonghua learned this form from Hong Junsheng in 1979. It took him till 1983 to finish learning it. He practiced this form daily from 1985 to 1991. After 1991, he received corrections on it from Hong once a year until 1994.
- This form is likened to that of Chinese calligraphy. Every move must be straight forward, and cleanly executed.
- Movements must be spirals.
- The moves must look like they “Flow like a river”.
- The movement is relaxed and yet powerful. This means the movements cannot lose their integrity.
- Movements must be dance like: open and big.
- This form is performed with even and slow motion.
- The body must always be kept upright with the to huiyin line suspended as the axis at all times.
- Movements must be wide and open so that all possible flaws are exposed and corrected.
- Movement must start from the dantian, not from the hand. Inside must lead the outside.
- Action should be mainly on the lower half of the body, not the upper half.
1. Buddha’s Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar (Jin Gang dao Dui)
2. Block Touching the Coat (Lan Ca Yi)
3. (Liu Feng Si Bi)
4. Single Whip (Dan Bian)
5. Turn Left and Buddha’s Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar (Zuo Zhuan Shen Dao Dui)
6. White Crane Spreads its Wings (Bai He Liang Chi)
7. Brush the Knee in Oblique Stance (Lou Xi Ao Bu)
8. First Closing (Chu Shou)
9. Walk Obliquely in Twist Steps (Xie Xing Ao Bu)
10. Second Closing-(Zai Shou)
11. Wade Forward in Twist Steps (Qian Tang Ao Bu)
12. The Fist of Covering Hand (Yan Shou Gong Chui)
13. Buddha’s Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar (Jin Gang Dao Dui)
14. Cross Hands (Shi Zi Shou)
15. Fist Draping Over Body (Pi Shen Chui)
16. Lean with Back (Bei Zhe Kao)
17. Fist Cover Hand Downwards (Xia Yan Shou Chui)
18. Step Up to Push with Two Hands (Jin Bu Shuang Tui Shou)
19. Change Palms Three Times (San Huan Zhang)
20. Fist Under Elbow (Zhou Di Chui)
21. Rotate Forearm while Step Back(Dao Juan Gong )
22. White Crane Spreads its Wings (Bai He Liang Chi )
23. Brush the Knee Obliquely (Lou Xi Ao Bu)
24. Flash the Back (Shan Tong Bei )
25. Step Forward to Punch Cover Hand (Jin Bu Yan Shou Chui )
26. Step Back and Block Touching Coat (Tui Bu Lan Ca Yi)
27. (Liu Feng Si Bi)
28. Single Whip (Dan Bian)
29. Upper Cloud Hands (Shang Yun Shou)
30. High Pat on Horse (Gao Tan Ma)
31. Rub Right Foot (You Cha Jiao)
32. Rub Left Foot (Zuo Cha Jiao)
33. Turn Left and Kick With Left Heel (Zuo Zhuan Shen Deng Jiao)
34. Wade Forward and Twist Step on Both Sides (Qian Tang Ao Bu)
35. The Punch to the Ground (Ji Di Chui)
36. Turn Over Body and Double Kick (Er Qi Jiao)
37. The Fist Protecting the Heart (Hu Xin Quan)
38. Tornado Kick (Xuan Feng Jiao)
39. Turn Right and Kick With Right Heel (You Zhuan Shen Deng Jiao)
40. The Fist of Covering the Hand (Yan Shou Gong Chui)
41. Small Catching and Hitting (Xiao Qin Da)
42. Embrace to Push Mountain (Bao Tou Tui Shan)
43. Change Palm Three Times (San Huan Zhang)
44. Oblique Single Whip (Dan Bian)
45. Forward Trick (Qian Zhao)
46. Backward Trick (Hou Zhao)
47. Part the Wild Horse’s Mane on Both Sides (Yie Ma Fen Zong)
48. Turn Left with (Zuo Zhuan Shen Liu Feng Si Bi)
49. Single Whip (Dan Bian)
50. Step Back to Double Shake the Feet (Tui Bu Shuang Zhen Jiao)
51. Jade Girl Works at Shuttles (Yu Nu Chuan Suo)
52. Block Touching the Coat (Lan Ca Yi)
53. (Liu Feng Si Bi)
54. Single Whip (Dan Bian)
55. Middle Cloud Hands (Zhong Yun Shou)
56. Double Lotus Kick (Shuang Bai Lian)
57. Fall and Split (Die Cha)
58. Left Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg (Zuo Jin Ji Du Li)
59. Right Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg (You Jin Ji Du Li)
60. Reversed Coiling of Forearm (Dao Juan Gong )
61. Turn Left and Step in to Squeeze (Zuo Zhuan Shen Jin Bu Ji)
62. Right Elbow Strike (Shun Lan Zhou)
63. White Crane Spreads Its Wings (Bai He Liang Chi)
64. Brush the Knee in Oblique Stance (Lou Xi Ao Bu)
65. Flash the Back (Shan Tong Bei)
66. Step Forward to Punch Covering the Hand (Jin Bu Yan Shou Heng Chui)
67. (Liu Feng Si Bi)
68. Single Whip (Dan Bian)
69. Lower Cloud Hands (Xia Yun Shou)
70. High Pat on Horse (Gao Tan Ma)
71. Cross Lotus Kick (Shi Zi Bai Lian)
72. The Punch Pointing to the Groin (Zhi Dang Chui)
73. The White Ape Presents Fruit (Yuan Hou Xian Guo)
74. (Liu Feng Si Bi)
75. Dan Bian (Single Whip)
76. The Dragon Through the Ground (Chuan Di Long)
77. Step Forward to Ride the Whale (Shang Bu Qi Xing)
78. Step Back to Mount the Tiger (Tui Bu Kua Hu)
79. Turn and Lotus Kick (Zhuan Shen Bai Lian Jiao)
80. Front Gate (Dang Men Pao)
81.Turn Left and Buddha’s Warrior Attendant Pounds Mortar (Zuo Zhuan Shen Dao Zhui)
Review and Test