Notes from the Zoom class on the concept of dao shou.
Began with practicing moving step positive circle. All of us missing the key concept of doing dao shou.
- Hold a jar and only turn the jar . The hand is only capable of making a fraction of a turn. Instead of turning the back and forth, we lock the position with the other hand and reset the turning hand position. One hand doesn’t move.
Switching and locking
- Need to be able to switch.
- After elbow in, turn the waist. Lock elbow. Hand rotates and leads out.
- Switch side: the elbow can belong to the waist (interacting with the waist) or the front kua (interacting with the hand).
- Swinging back and forth is not doing anything – not advancing.
- Like a boat falling over waves. The wave pushes the boat up, then the boat switches to the other side of the wave and goes over the wave.
- Hand comes in and locks – advanced the kua.
- Causes your opponent to move in space, while you only rotate.
- Chest moves backward (down) as hand goes out.
- Being able to switch is to have a sequence. 1 2 3. Another sequence is 3 2 1.
- Walking is a sequence. Your crotch is the middle, your two feet will switch back and forth. Bite is your foot locking on the ground. Can use walking as a reference to understand other moves.