About Fredericton Classes
Classes are offered in the Fredericton area (at St. Thomas University’s O’Keefe Centre). Check here for our current schedule.
New students are always welcome.
All classes are taught by Jean-Philippe Ranger, PhD (21st generation tudi of Chen Taiji, Head Instructor of the Fredericton Chen Taiji Practical Method Association)
Originally from Ottawa, Canada, I have been practicing Chinese martial arts since the age of 18. When I am not teaching Taiji, I teach Greek philosophy at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, NB, Canada.
1999 – present: Focus on Internal Martial Arts
- Summer 2012: Trained in an intensive full-time program with Chen Zhonghua at Daqingshan in China.
- Since Fall 2009: Teaching Chen Taiji Practical Method in Fredericton, NB.
- May-June 2008: Trained in an intensive full-time program with Chen Zhonghua in Edmonton, AB and Maple Ridge, BC.
- 2006-2009: Teaching Chen Taiji Practical Method and Shaolin in Conception Bay South, Newfoundland.
- Since 2004: I have decided to focus primarily on and dedicate my efforts to Grandmaster Hong Junsheng’s Chen Style Practical System and Push-Hands.
- 2003: Spent several months in Paris, France, where I met and trained with a “Taiji great-aunt,” Master Lac Lemy (Hunyuan Taiji).
- 2002: Became a 21st generation tudi (official student and representative) of Chen style Taiji under Kee Hong.
- 1999-2004: Focused primarily, although not exclusively on Grandmaster Feng’s Hunyuan Taiji and Qigong. Attended several of Chen Zhonghua’s workshops.
- 1999: Met my current teacher, Kee Hong (tudi of Chen Zhonghua), and was introduced to Hunyuan Taiji and Hong Junsheng’s Chen style Pratical Method.
1991-1999: Focus on External Martial Arts
- 2002: Appointed as the head-instructor of the Stonelion Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Association (which includes three branches: St-John’s, Newfoundland; Ottawa, Ontario and Montréal, Québec).
- 1998: During travels in Asia and Australia, I had the opportunity to meet and train with various teachers.
- Studied Tibetan White Crane with the Pak Hok Kung Fu International Association in Sydney, Australia
- Met and trained in Meihuaquan and Wujia Taijiquan with Chen Shaoying in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1996-1997: Learned the Wu Style Taiji form at the Club de Judo de la Vielle Capitale (Quebec City).
- 1991: Co-founded the Stonelion Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Association at the University of Ottawa, with my teacher Mathieu Ravignat (acted as assistant instructor until 2002).
- 1991-2002: Studied Gu Ruzhang’s Beishaolin system with Mathieu Ravignat.
- 1991-1998: Studied Shaolin Wuxingmen (and Modern Arnis) at the Young Forest Kung Fu Club in Ottawa.
- 1991: Introduction to Chinese Martial Arts.